Thursday, January 9, 2014

January 8, 2014


Hello Family and Friends!
  This week was Really great! Dad sent me Pictures of all the family activities this Christmas and I cherish them! I also got sent a Cambodian flag from my friend Jessica and some Snacks and Sriracha from Sarah! I feel very loved thank you all!! I started teaching another one of my teachers as an investigator (Thon) and he acts like a real Cambodian would so we sit on a mat and teach the lesson with our shoes off. The Cambodian people i found out don't think asking any question is rude. The first things I will say are "Hello have you eaten rice yet? Where do you work? How much money do you make? Where is your house? Can we go there now?" and they are totally comfortable with all this. The only time they get offended is if you don't ask questions when you're supposed to. Like when you know their sick and don't ask how their doing and stuff like that. Thon gets distracted really easily. We have to be really focused in order to keep him focused. And if we ask if he understands he'll always say "youl, youl" ( which means Understand) even if he doesn't. So I have gotten a lot better at asking understanding questions and making him repeat the commitments we give him so we know he understands. I love teaching so much and I'm so unbelievably excited to go to Cambodia! I know once i get there I'm going to understand nothing of what is going on, but  I trust that the Lord will support me if I'm faithful and do everything I can to progress constantly. 
  I learned a lot about how the spirit works and speaks this week. The holy ghost is promised to be our companion when we are baptized and confirmed, but this companionship is not going to be a constant burning in the bosom or an ongoing feed of words to say in a lesson. When we are righteous and trying to do everything we can to do good and pondering out in our minds and in our hearts the direction or answer to our prayer that we should take, its is then that the holy ghost guides us. Often times we will not feel a burning to do something but we think about it and decide its right based on our best judgment and then only afterwards do we see that the holy ghost was guiding us. When we are righteous and trying to align our will with God's will then our decision often is the decision the Lord wants us to make and thus we do not need a burning in our bosom to know its the right thing to do. It becomes who we are to make the right choice. 
 The Book of Mormon is so incredibly Powerful. Reading it will bring a soul closer to god than any other book on earth. When you read the Book of Mormon then everything becomes simpler. If I could exhort you to read the Book of Mormon with full purpose of heart then everything else in the gospel will fall into place. Your life will become more simple because you will begin to have a testimony of the truths found in the Book. This one part is the most important thing I can do on my mission. Get people to read the Book of Mormon, gain a testimony of it, and depend on it. This one thing alone is more important than any other teaching skill I learn here at the MTC. The Book of Mormon has the Power to change lives. I promise that as you read it daily, truly pondering it, Starting with a prayer that the lord will teach you through the holy ghost, you will gain a testimony of this power also. And you will see the effect that it has on your life for the best. In one of the meetings I had with Robert this last week we decided since he wasn't reading in the Book of Mormon, we were going to read with him. We began in the first chapter of first Nephi and read until we reached the part where Lehi prays with all his heart. We Asked Robert if he prays with all his heart and he said he prays a lot with his wife and personally. We told him that if he prays like Lehi did right here in the Book of Mormon and if he reads the Book of Mormon, then he will be able to feel God's love for him and he will receive the faith he is seeking. The spirit was strong there because of the Power that came from the Book of Mormon. I felt prompted to tell Robert that if he prayed right now with all his heart, believing that he will receive, then he would feel of the Lord's  Love right now, and he will know that God is listening. He knelt down and prayed humbly and fervently and the spirit was incredible. This is the Power of the Book of Mormon.
  Fast Sunday was incredible this week. We had mission conference where we learned of faith and how perfect love casteth out all fear. Testimony meeting was my favorite. So many powerful testimonies were borne by the missionaries in my Zone. So many swords of the Spirit wielded righteously. I stood and bore my testimony of Small and Simple things as found in Alma 37:6-7. The lord doth work by means to bring about his great and eternal purposes. And by very small means the lord doth confound the wise and bringeth about the salvation of many souls. I am just a small mean. I don't know everything, i don't speak the language well, i'm only 18 years old and just out of high school. But the Lord is trusting in me to be the means to bring about the salvation of some of his children. I can be strengthened through the Atonement of Jesus Christ despite my inadequacies, or maybe even because of them. The stripling warriors were not trained to fight all their lives, they were not particularly strong, most of them were only boys, i'd like to think there was an 18 year old like me in there. These Stripling warriors, despite their weakness, had faith in the Lord that they would be strengthened and they doubted not. They fought like Lions in battle and Helaman says that never had any man fought with the strength that these boys fought with. Not a single one died. I want to have faith like unto these stripling warriors. The faith to be strengthened in the Lord. For i can do all things through him. I know it. I bear you my testimony that I know the Book of Mormon has more power than any book on earth and you will be blessed if you treasure it up daily. I know that the Lord will guide and strengthen you as you put your faith in him. I know this church is true and that Thomas S. Monson is the Lord's prophet today on the Earth. I testify of these things in the name of Jesus Christ. Amen.
                         love always, Elder Lyle Brewer

No comments:

Post a Comment