Friday, October 17, 2014

Conference



To my dearest family,
  This week was a wild one. We started out last monday going to this place called Sek Sak. It was very far away and not very impressive. But I got some pictures! Also I said goodbye to some of my recent converts this week and gave them some last words of encouragement because I left to Tul Kok! I am now in the big city of Phnom Penh and boy is there traffic. The bus ride from Battambang was very long and we passed through one of the new areas they are opening up, Pursat! The two Elders that are opening it have not yet gone because they don't have permission from the government yet. And because of that they get to stay with us in our house! So we have a a very small house. The smallest in the mission. It's pretty tight with 4 Elders in there but its okay because we all sing together all the time! Its super fun singing 4 part harmonies of all the hymns! We are thinking of putting together a group to sing at the Christmas program during the talent portion. Elder Vore is my new companion and he is such a great hard-working missionary and I am thrilled to serve with him! Our area Tul kok is currently exploding because of the work he's been doing here. This last week we got 13 new investigators and 10 of our already progressing investigators came to church this week. Oh did I mention I am now in a ward? That's new for me.
  Conference this week was utterly amazing. I feel like I have received so many answers to prayer by listening to the voice of the prophet. I feel like my knowledge is truly growing line upon line, continually receiving light until the perfect day. I just downloaded all the talks and can't wait to review them in my studies during the coming weeks and months. How blessed we are to have living prophets to lead and guide us and give us the word and will and mind of the Lord for our day. Some of my favorite messages included Lynn G. Robbins who taught me about courage to stand up for the the Lord and to Fear No Man. That one is a re-watch. Elder Chi Hong Wong provided a great message about reaching out and rescuing less active members that have fallen away from the fold. D. Todd Christofferson gave a brilliant talk on taking responsibility for our actions, our lives, and our salvation. He taught me to exercise pro-activity and responsibility, or the ability to respond. My choices and actions are my own. I am who I am today because of the choices I made. And because of the recognition of that power, I can choose to be better - through the Atonement of Jesus Christ. Freedom comes not from resisting it, but by applying it. I hope to apply Dieter F. Uchtdorf's message to seek to understand truths with correct instruments. I loved Elder Dallin H. Oaks who taught me to avoid contention and show patience and kindness. Jeffery R. Holland taught me to care for the poor and give of my substance to retain a remission of my sins. Quentin L. Cook taught about prioritizing and being decisive in following the Lord. He taught to look for good, better, and best and to ask myself, "will this make me a better person?" Dieter F. Uchtdorf also taught me to look inward and humble myself and try first to correct my own faults before correcting others. President Thomas S. Monson taught me to always seek to be guided by the Lord, lest I be swallowed in the sea of Satan. Henry B. Eyring taught me to seek for confirming revelation when I hear the council of my leaders that I may know it is from God. Russel M. Nelson taught me what it means to sustain a prophet and our leaders in word and in deed. Robert D. Hales taught me to better recognize the distinction between the father and the son. President Monson again taught me about the need to be tempted so that we may be agents to ourselves and that we may gain experience that can only come by separation from our parents. Richard G. Scott pleaded with us to remember to not yield to satan's lie that you don't have time to study the scriptures! It is more important than everything! Even Sleep! Allan F. Packer to remember that our celestial exaltation is dependent upon us also doing Family History Work. Larry S. Kacher is the father of a sister missionary in my mission. You know Nelly that wanted to swim out in the ocean? That was her. Choose the current of the Lord! I loved the story of the two little brothers that David A. Bednar shared. It was full of symbolism of  the repentance process and sharing the gospel. 
  I'm loving Cambodia and serving as a missionary is the greatest thing I have ever done. I love you all and I hope and pray that you may allow the Lord to enlighten your mind with the words of his servants. I hope you can find a way to apply those words in your life and that the lord may bless and prosper you. In the name of Jesus Christ. Amen. 
-Elder L. Rogers Brewer







Here is me contacting for English class in front of the church. We got 10 return appointments and 38 people stopped. 
P.s. I am saying Free in that picture. 







No comments:

Post a Comment