Monday, February 23, 2015

We Are Missionaries

Dear Ones,

I had a wonderful Sabbath day this week. It was my first time in the Chaktomok Ward. My companion and I are white washing, which means that neither me nor my companion have ever been in the area and don't know anyone. Luckily there is another set of Elders in the area, only one of them was in the area last Transfer so he showed us all around a bit after church. The first councilor in the Bishopric asked me to say the opening prayer and help the Elders Quorum president bless the Sacrament. They don't have very many people in the ward who come... But those who do come are super faithful! From the talks at church which the two other Elders gave I was reminded how Jesus requires us to love others like we love ourselves. I pondered on how I love myself and thought that if I would do it for myself I should do it for someone else too.

Every Monday we call the Elders in Vietnam and take results from the last week. We also had an Assistant planning meeting with President Moon. That was fun. We got some new tasks to accomplish, including an English Class Leader training meetingon Wednesday followed by a Leadership training meeting that involves all the Zone Leaders and District Leaders and Sister training Leaders in the city. There were a lot of missionaries here at the mission home on Wednesday. The exchanges involved were very complicated and it gave Elder Lao and I a headache just trying to figure them out. 

Tuesday morning we had to rush the Vietnamese Elders to the bus station for an 8 o'clock departure to Vietnam and we ran into a lot of complications. On the way to pick them up from the house they were staying at we got a little confused on the roads and then we showed up and they weren't ready. Traffic was a nightmare and we had to go to the mission home first to get his passport and luggage. When we got there we found that his passport was actually locked in the safe. So we had to get the Senior couple to run down the street and open the safe so we could pull the passport out and book it to the bus station. We had to call ahead and ask them to wait for us and we made it in the nick of time. Very stressful morning. However, we had District meeting later all about the gift of tongues and how to obtain it. We talked about what it was like when we first got in the country and its a night and day difference. When I opened my call I was incredulous but not until I looked at the Cambodian characters did I start feeling stressed. But the Lord truly has blessed me with the gift of Tongues. Tuesday was also the office staff devotional. We got to look at the full week and discuss some things that most missionaries don't see. The day to day of running a mission is taxing. I don't know how President Moon does it. Scratch that, I am sure he does it through the strength of the Lord. 

Wednesday was Landon's Birthday! Happy birthday to ya buddy. I love you so much! Congrats making Varsity Tennis! Singles is demanding but you can do it! អាចធ្វើបាន! That day we also had a bunch of training meetings all day as I mentioned earlier. Elder Lao and I had to do some of the training as well. In the evening we went to English class and it was a blast! We helped some Cambodians learn English! The attendance was low because of Chinese New Year. That has a big affect  believe it or not. 

Thursday we went to the mission home early and had a specialized training with President and Sister Moon. Sister Moon made us scones. Yum! They taught us about being converted to the commandments and the mission rules. Obedience = Happiness = The Holy Ghost. I can testify that this is true. 2 Nephi 2:41 testifies to this also. I have seen that when I am obedient I am happy and I have the Spirit. It is simply intelligent. 

Friday I worked on editing and translating the Zone Leader Stewardship packet into Khmer. That took a long time. Writing in Khmer on a computer is difficult, but I'm getting the hang of it. We also got to proselyte with the office Elders who are over the International Branch. We went on splits so they could cover all their appointments. I got to teach in English. For the first time in my mission. At least to someone who wasn't a missionary. It was odd. We taught an American who married a Cambodian woman 10 years ago. He gave us PB&J sandwiches. It was neat.

Today, Saturday, is my P-Day. I'm just chillin'. 

I love you all so much! Have a wonderful week. Pray always and faint not. Search the scriptures, in them you will find the words of eternal life. Meet together oft to partake of the sacrament and renew your covenants with God. Make & keep covenants. Trust in the Lord. Lean not to thine own understanding. Be thou humble and the Lord thy God shall lead thee by the hand and give thee answers to thy prayers. As a representative of Jesus Christ and having been called by Him through a living prophet to preach His word, I testify that these words are true. I have proved them many times in my life. I do not know these things of myself, but they have been made known unto me by the power of the Holy Ghost through much diligence in fasting and prayer. You may do likewise and God will answer you too. I promise. In the name of His son, Jesus Christ, Amen.

This is Sophal, the maker of all my beautiful ties:


 This is me trying to make meringue:


 Losing Games at FHE means baby powder in the face:



Driving by the other day and we snapped this shot. This is what the office elders do on P-day.

  Me, Elder tan, and Elder Lao (the office crew minus one)


 Elder Hibbert and I (we are 'wardies')

 My comp Elder Lao and Elder Gardiner creepin'





No comments:

Post a Comment